The Ecolife project (Ecological Lifestyles for CO2 Reduction) was launched on October 1, 2013 and will end in September 2016. It is co-financed by the European Commission within the framework of the LIFE+ information and communication programs and is realized with the participation of Legambiente (the project leader), AzzeroCO2, Deep Blue, ACLI and MDC.
Currently, the Earth’s temperatures are among the highest ever recorded and in the last decades temperature variations have become extremely rapid, especially due to anthropic activities that release greenhouses gases into the atmosphere. Ecolife wishes to make citizens more aware of their role and the effect that their everyday choices can have on the environment. The project proposes new, economically sustainable lifestyles that are more respectful of the environment and that contribute to reducing greenhouse gases.
The project aims to use the partners’ experience to develop a new communication campaign on climate change and meet the following objectives:
- To improve the Italian citizens’ awareness of climate change
- To increase the knowledge and awareness of climate change in the project’s three main targets: young couples, recent pensioners and domestic workers
- To obtain an effective reduction of CO2 thanks to the more sustainable lifestyles assumed by the project’s target citizens
- To increase the efficiency of the planned communication method by proposing it to the partners and external operators in the field of environmental communication
- The creation of 30 information centers, set up everywhere in Italy
- The realization of a travelling exhibition on climate change and the measures needed to counter it
- The creation of a game for spreading the awareness of good practices
- The realization of a simulator of the avoided CO2 and the related economic savings
- The creation of a community of citizens that would apply and spread the good practices proposed